Today we have Doug Cunnington, who is known for his Affiliate Marketing hacks and has over 17,000 subscribers on his YouTube Channel. Doug is the guy behind famous blog Nichesiteproject.com On Niche Site Project, Doug covers topics related to SEO, niche websites, authority sites and Affiliate Marketing
Amazon Affiliate Success with Doug Cunnington
Doug owns some niche specific blogs. I would also suggest checking his podcast at Doug.Show
In this Interviw, Doug talks about his journey to become a affiliate marketer and his favorite monetization strategies and much more!
1. For anyone who doesn’t know you, who are you and what are you all about
Before I got into internet marketing, I worked as a management consultant and project manager — your typical IT worker bee, grinding 12+ hour days.
2. How did you get started in internet marketing
In 2013, I found the Smart Passive Income Podcast with Pat Flynn — It blew my mind. I had no idea that people were making money online. Honestly, it sounded scammy, but after listening to all the episodes as fast as I could, I launched my first niche site.
It was a total flop, and I made so many mistakes like the rookie I was. But I learned from the mistakes.
I kept working on niche sites as a side hustle until I was laid off in 2015. Then, I took a chance on myself and went full time.
3. How to Pick Best Niche for an Affiliate Site
There is no “best” niche. If you can find products that people are buying (more on that in a second), then you can make a profitable site.
You can simply look at Amazon and find products that:
- Have a few reviews or more, say more than 10 reviews.
- 4 to 5 stars.
- Have a range of prices — cheap and expensive. The sweet spot is around $75-100 USD.
If people are buying on Amazon, then you should be able to find a viable niche.
4. Which Are Your Marketing Strategies to Grow Your Traffic?
- Publish content targeting long-tail traffic by using the Keyword Golden Ratio. It’s a data-driven way to find keywords that are underserved on the internet. I created the formula and concept which is really growing in popularity.
- Get more backlinks by networking within your niche and land guest posts.
- Be on podcasts to gain more exposure and get a backlink at the same time.
- Add internal links on your site to improve rankings. I’ve seen excellent overnight results by simply adding linking internally on your own site.
- Optimize existing content by adding a FAQ section. You can find great FAQs by googling the term you’re trying to rank for, then check out the related questions that Google provides on the results page.
5. What Are Some Of Your Favorite Affiliate Programs To Promote
My favorite is Amazon Associates since Amazon converts incredibly well. Even when other programs pay higher commission rates, Amazon tends to be more profitable.
6. Which 5 tools do you use most of the time
Ahrefs – For backlink analysis and organic search data.
Keywords Everywhere – For keyword search volumes.
KW Finder – For deeper keyword research.
Google Search Console – For deep onsite and offsite analysis.
Grammarly – for checking content for correctness and plagiarism.
7. Which Influencers and Thought Leaders You Look up to When It Comes to Affiliate Marketing
Pat Flynn from Smart Passive Income.
Matt Woodward from matthewwoodward.co.uk.
8. What’s Your Favorite Social Network – Instagram, Facebook, Linkedin or Twitter
Instagram. I don’t use social media much because it’s generally a productivity killer for me. And I use Instagram as a time-waster for fun, not as a marketing tool.
9. Tell us a little bit about your income reports. What’s the point of them and what all do you share
I don’t have income reports like Pat Flynn used to do. But occasionally, I share income details for specific projects, like Amazon Affiliate Earnings examples. I share some details so people can see that making money online is real.
I know it was totally inspiring to see income reports and success stories out there. It’s inspiring to people getting started and seeing the possibilities that regular people have accomplished.
Doug, thank you so much for chatting with me today and for providing valuable insights into Affiliate marketing, we really appreciate it mate, thank you so much for your time.